So it only seemed right to whip up a batch to go along with my Clean Eating Sloppy Joe's for dinner last night!
Yes - it does take a couple extra hours than just running the the grocery store. No, you will not regret it!!
What You Need:
- 1 package active dry yeat (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 cup warm water (120F)
- 1/2 cup warm milk, I used Almond Milk (120F)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1 large egg, room temperate, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4-4 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Sesame seeds (the one ingredient I didn't have last night!)
What You Need To Do:
- In a stand mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand 5 minutes, then stir in milk, oil, honey, egg, and salt until combined. Add 4 cups flour and mix on medium speed until smooth and elastic., until a dough forms. Continue mixing until dough pulls away from sides, adding more flour if necessary.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and gently knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a grease bowl, turning once to grease top. Let dough rise 1 1/2 hours or until dough has doubled.
- Punch risen dough down and divide into 10-12 equal pieces. Shape each piece into bun shape, and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Make sure to space each bun about 4 inches.
- Cover buns with plastic wrap and let rise 20 minutes or until puffy. Remove wrap and gently flatten each bun slightly. Cover bunts with plastic wrap again and let rise an additional 30 minutes, or until doubled in size.
- Brush buns with beaten egg white and sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Bake hamburger buns at 375 degrees F fo 18-20 minutes, or until golden-brown. Cool on a wire cooling rack.
Store Hamburger buns in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. Buns may also br frozen up to 1 month.
If you enjoy my recipes and want to see more, or are interest in starting your journey to a happy, healthy & clean lifestyle ADD ME ON FACEBOOK! Or you can click HERE and I can start coaching you for FREE today!!
Recipe adapted from wholeandheavenlyoven.com