- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick (use a mandolin so you don't lose a finger!)
- 15 oz part-skim ricotta
- 8 oz part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Parmigiano Reggiano, shredded
- 1 large egg
What You Need To Do:
- In a medium sauce pan, brown the meat and season with salt and pepper. When cooked (reaching 165 degrees F), drain in colander to remove any excess fat.
- Add olive oil to the pan and saute garlic and onions, for about 2 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pan, add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for at least 30-40 minutes, covered. Do not add any extra water, the sauce should be thick!
- Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8" thick slices, lightly add salt and let sit for 10 minutes. Zucchini has a lot of water when cooked, salting it takes out a lot of moisture! After 10 minutes, blot the excess moisture with a paper towl.
- On a gas grill or grill pan (I used the bottom half of my George Foreman), grill zucchini on each side, until cooked, about 1-2 minutes per side. Place on fresh paper towel to soak any excess moisture!
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
- In a 9x12 casserole dish, spread some sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini to cover. Then place the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all ingredients are used up! Top with sauce and mozzarella and cover with foil.
- Bake 45 minutes, covered, at 375 degrees F. Uncover and cook for 15 additional minutes.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving, then ENJOY!!
If you enjoy my recipes, and would like to learn more about joining an Online Challenge Group and starting your journey to a happy, healthy & fit lifestyle please add me on Facebook! Or you can click HERE and I can start coaching you for FREE TODAY!
recipe adapted from skinnytaste.com