What You Need:
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 4 - 6 ounces water
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil plus fresh sprigs of basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper (more or less depending on your heat preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup red wine (optional)
What You Need To Do:
- In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium low heat and add onion. Cook until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Add the basil, black pepper, red pepper, salt, tomatoes, paste, water and wine, if using.
- Cover and simmer sauce for 20 minutes until flavors are blended. For a smoother sauce, puree in blender briefly.
Recipe adapted from afoodcentriclife.com