What do you do when you have a lot of fresh basil, and not enough time to eat it fresh?! PESTO!! I decided to make it vegan-friendly since my Dad (who is vegan) flies in tomorrow to stay for a while, and I really just didn't feel like buying a block of parmesan reggiano because I don't eat a lot of dairy myself!
What You Need:
- 2 1/2 cups fresh Basil
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup roasted whole almonds (roasted pine nuts, or roasted sunflower seeds could also be used!)
- 2 garlic cloves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan reggiano
What You Need To Do:
- In a food processor, pulse roasted almonds and whole garlic cloves until well ground.
- Add basil, olive oil, and optional parmesan reggiano. Pulse until incorporated, but do not over mix!!
- Taste for seasoning, if necessary add a small amount of olive oil.