A few months ago, I decided that I really wanted to try some "overnight oatmeal" or "refrigerator oats" ... but the one problem?? I had everything I needed, EXCEPT for the applesauce! I have a weird way of thinking, that anything in a package, by any big brand company, is going to have it pumped full of chemicals - whether its for the appearance or taste - and who needs extra crap when you really only need mashed up bananas?! Well .. not me!! And luckily not you any more ;)
Here is a nice and easy recipe - and if you only have a a handful of apples, not a problem, just cut this recipe in half, or quarters! It is definitely worth the time!
What You Need:
- 6 pounds apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 slices
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (more of less depending on your taste buds)
- Optional additions such as nutmeg, maple syrup, all spice, butter, etc.
What You Need To Do:
- Combine all ingredients in large pot, cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes.
- Carefully puree in food processor until smooth.
- Store in fridge (I like to use mason jars!).
- Serve by itself, overnight oatmeal, over pork chops, ice cream or even pancakes!