I had a little extra determination finding a delicious recipe for a French Green Lentil Soup because not only did I have the lentils (a gift rom Mom...) but I had a brand new BEAUTIFUL Martha Stewart Cast Iron Crock Pot (it matches my dining room walls!) and it took me 6 MONTHS to open and use it for this ... Shame on me!!
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery stalks (and chopped celery leaves for garnish)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup sliced mini bella mushrooms
- 4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cups lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- Balsamic Vinegar (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and garlic; saute until vegetables begin to brown, about 15 minutes. Add 4 cups broth, lentils, and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 35 minutes.
- Transfer 2 cups coup (mostly solids) to blender and puree until smooth. Return puree to soup in pan; thin soup with more brother by 1/4 cupfuls, if too thick. Season with salt, pepper, and a splash of vinegar, if desired. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with celery leaves. ENJOY!!